Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mist

James 4: 14
"Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes."
My favorite part of this is the God-like way 'What is your life?' is asked. I have been learning this summer that God really is, you know, God. He's big. He's powerful. And he delights in me. Weird. I read this verse last Saturday (so a week ago) and being compared to mist hit me. We are only on this Earth a little while and then we vanish. At least in God's eyes that's what we're like. Yet he cherishes each and everyone of us. What is up with that? The verse, to me, goes hand and hand with Luke 12:25 - 26 when Jesus asks why are we anxious when we can't do such a small thing like add an hour to our life. Add an hour? A small thing? Who is this guy that can say this? Then I realize through all my thick headedness that he is that same God mentioned in James that says I'm mist yet also says how much he loves me.
My Luke 12:25 - 26 revelation was all in front of my computer watching Brian Deacon (He plays Jesus in the JESUS Film) repeat these verses. Not only is this my favorite scene (the lighting is great in this shot - one of the rare ones) but just those words. Even though it's human Brian Deacon saying them I can just imagine the real Jesus giving me a similar look and asking me: Why be anxious? What is your life?
Now all of this has hit extreme relevance in my life. Right now. Why? Cuz my internship ends in less than 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS! I feel as if I started a new chapter in a new place and I have to return to the old place. I feel my throat tighten and my heart drop into my stomach when I think about leaving. It doesn't help that I have been living on my own, creating a lifestyle for myself, for the last several weeks while I've been house sitting. I guess mostly it's my want to not uproot my life (once again) and just be settled for once but what fun would that be? I must put a bookmark in this chapter of my life to return to later. I pray, earnestly, that I return. And I know even if I don't return to work here I will return to visit.
There have been many kidnapping plans. I won't spoil them because I think several will be tried in less than 2 weeks time. (hint there's milk cartons, duct tape, and a meal once a week involved.)
This week is CSU, so mostly everyone is gone which means we get to have parties. We had a lunar landing party and today we had a field day party. We had to wear shirts or jerseys of our alma mater or fav team. And shocking enough the Ohio/Michigan rivalry found itself down here. 3 of us wore Ohio based shirts and 2 wore Michigan shirts. (One of the IT guys was passing out Michigan shirts and hats to all he could :P) It was hot but it was fun just to stand outside.
JESUS Film Field Day Group

Playing cornhole in the Quad.

Ohio Reps. That and we matched.

I don't really pick sides. Shaking Michigan color pompoms.

Earlier this week I took an excursion to Downtown Disney just for fun. I took silly pictures, ate really good fish and chips, and saw Public Enemies (Wasn't that great. The cinematography was distracting. Depp and Cotillard were great, though.) I'm not going to Disney World while I'm here so I took a picture with me and some "princesses" for a friend of mine. Some parents looked very concerned as I wandered around grabbing princess dolls.
Me and the Princesses...for some reason I could only find "baby" Ariel and Jasmine. Odd.

My most photogenic new friend.

I may be sad that I only have 2 weeks left but I will finish them out with joy because I'm sure God has something great planned with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment