Thursday, July 30, 2009

No Coincidences

1 week. This isn't a countdown but yet it's true. A week from this very moment my internship with the JESUS Film will be over. I've been removing grain from the Hi-Def version of the JFilm. It is a SLOOOOOOOW process because Mac + Adobe AfterEffects = slowest rendering time imaginable. In the words of Ryan Reynolds' character in The Proposal "Congratulations, I'm 100." I am also editing footage from a trip Mikey went on to Bolivia around the same time I did. 4 hours of footage put into a 30 min and a 10 min video. My rough cut chopped it down to 47 minutes(took me multiple days to do so but still). It definitely makes me long for Santa Cruz...a lot. There's a shot in the city center and I knew exactly where things were in location to it. I really want to return there some day.
Mikey gave me this project (a) so I didn't run out of stuff to do while he was on vacation and (b) because he knew I had been to Bolivia. Not a coincidence.
But are there really such things a coincidences?
I don't think so. I think when our eyes are truly open it is God revealing something about ourselves or something about his nature to us. God revealed one more thing which I think he wants me to realize before I leave here. He's opened my eyes to several things, 1st was Luke 12:25 - 26 then it was John 10:10. Now it's Jeremiah 1:5.
"'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.'"
God is talking to Jeremiah here, when he's first called to prophecy. Jeremiah tries to come back saying he is too young and God essentially tells him to shut up. I like the nice Godly nice way Jeremiah puts it but still...I'm pretty sure God was telling him to shut his mouth for a second. He follows that with verse 8 saying "Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you." Ok. How many times has God told me this? Do not be afraid. Do not be anxious. And yet, I try to weasel my way back into my shell in my dark corner using excuses like I don't know how to speak well. (I haven't learned from Jeremiah or Moses apparently.) God always interrupts Jeremiah and Moses when they said those things and he does the same for me. But I'm thick headed. I keep up with my excuses. But why? God is with me. He will rescue me. He's a BIG God. And we may be small and insignificant but he cherishes us. He knows us...I'll get to this in a second.
Back to Jeremiah. After God telling him that he is with him and will rescue him he does something outrageous. Ridiculous even. He touches Jeremiah's lips. God TOUCHED his lips. Then said "Now, I have put my words in your mouth." Whoa. I want God to touch my lips. And it could happen but for now I have to lean on the Spirit.
So, I heard this story...and specifically Jeremiah 1:5 twice. In one day. No coincidences. God is trying to make sure that even though I write how he delights in me that I realize that he really does. He knew me before I was even formed. KNEW me. I don't even truly know me. We are a mist, a vapor, and yet... he knows us. And has set us apart. Apart from the world. For his works. He says later in Jeremiah 29:11 '"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." He's serious when he says he set us apart.
But wait (you say - in my head-) God is talking to Jeremiah... not me specifically.
Well back to how I heard this marvelous verse. I first Jeremiah 1:5 - 10 from Francis Chan, who put it really well in his book Crazy Love that I will botch up. Essentially he said that not only does God know us but he has set us apart to be a prophet to the nations. And this wasn't just for Jeremiah. It's for us too. There are so many nations in need and we are to go to them. Then I heard the verse again at Cassie's church's high school service, TNT. The youth guy mentioned this part specifically as well saying that nations doesn't just mean to travel all over the world. That nations can be our families... our schools. And we (not just Jeremiah) are called to them. Set apart for them.
So God is talking to me and you (whoever you are reading this.)
No coincidences. God wants my heart on this verse before and as I leave Orlando. I am known. I am set apart. And I am appointed. And that realization of that is just so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment